Monday, June 22, 2009




This is the first of my "Houses of Pacific Grove" (California) feature. I will be highlighting some of my favorite homes and landscaping around town, many of which I pass every day on my walk along the Monterey Bay to work. There is a plethora of beautiful and interesting houses in this small town, enough to warrant extensive documentation. 
This house, and its old white fence and flowers, is reminiscent of the houses of Cape Cod that I came to love during my years there. It is a simple Cape, on a corner lot, with a view across the golf course to the bay. The picket fence, rotting in places, has a particular charm. Weathering, an architectural element which is often not appreciated, shows the effects of nature on manmade structures, and gives this simple house a sense of history. 
Still to come: tiny Victorian cottages (of which there are many in this former Methodist retreat); ultramodern glass houses; Spanish-influenced design; and charming beach houses.

No comments:

Post a Comment