Friday, June 26, 2009

snapshot • purple crab











Tide pools, of which there are an unlimited quantity, of all sizes and shapes, along the central California coast, provide endless opportunities for viewing wildlife. The most common tide pool critters on our beach, besides the barnacles and limpets, are hermit crabs, who run around in their black turban squatter shells. Once in a while, if you watch carefully, you can spot an ochre star or a larger crab. On one of my walks around the PG tide pools, I saw this marvelous beast come out of his rock crevice and walk slowly around. Fortunately, as always, I had my G9 at the ready, and, with the zoom I was able to get close enough to get some really great shots of this generally shy creature. I haven't been able to identify it yet, but I'm pretty sure it's a crab. 

No comments:

Post a Comment