Sunday, July 19, 2009

Ashtray, Monterey Plaza Hotel, Monterey, 2009.






Here's something I've never seen before: when they clean out the (outdoor) ashtrays, they make an impression in the sand of their logo: two dolphins and (I guess) a wave. I can't decide whether I think it's really cool, or just kinda weird. It's a classy place. Something else here I've never seen - and I've been in a lot of hotels, although maybe not classy hotels - little white rugs under the urinals, and little white cloth towels to dry your hands. Sarah works in the Boatworks, in the hotel building. There is a beautiful plaza overlooking the bay, with nice teak tables and chairs, and a sitting area under a trellis next to the Cafe La Strada, where they have really good coffee and pastries. Lots of glass, and fancy woodwork. There's a sumptuous spa on the top floor with a hot tub overlooking the bay, and a discount for locals. Schooners bar and grill has outdoor seating on the bay, and it's a really nice place to have an iced tea - and it's good iced tea. And everybody's so nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment