Friday, July 17, 2009

Quote of The Day (but not every day...)

Peace must first be developed within an individual. And I believe that love, compassion, and altruism are the fundamental basis for peace. Once these qualities are developed within an individual, he or she is then able to create an atmosphere of peace and harmony. This atmosphere can be expanded and extended from the individual to his family, from the family to the community and eventually to the whole world.


His Holiness The Dalai Lama, 

quoted in Thich Nhat Hanh, Peace Is Every Step, New York: Bantam, 1991.



I have a FileMaker database of over 10,000 quotes, which I have meticulously entered over the years; many of them are on art and architecture, but range across popular culture, gender, spirituality, humor and many other topics. I am trying to figure out a way to share the quotes without entering them all here, or just uploading the whole database. If you have any thoughts, or would like a quote on a particular topic, consider me a resource. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, 10,000 quotes? I thought i was a nerd for keeping a list of favorite movies! But seriously, that is wonderful to do!

    ReplyDelete